The Kids Are Alright




I took Adrian to Hillside today, a school for dyslexic kids here in Boulder. It's modeled after this program. We met his teacher, Jennifer. She did some assessment work with him. I sat with them for an hour.

He liked her, which was a relief. I did too.

The School Dog

After the work he did, we hung around the school grounds. It's really a beautiful place, with huge fields, basketball courts and a pond. He was very happy poking around the pond and shooting baskets for a while. There is an almost sacred quality to the place. Not surprising, since it is located on the property of a former abbey for Benedictine nuns. Also, they have a dog.


After we were they for a few minutes, I noticed I could breath. It's funny how much easier it is to just be somewhere, as opposed to having anxiety while imagining being somewhere. I could feel in my body that this was going to be ok. I talked with the group of teachers - there are 4 of them. There are four students to a class. It's going to be interesting to see how Adrian manages the two schools and if he develops a preference. I expect he will notice the tradeoffs of each and make his peace with both of them. He really liked Hillside today. I know part of that is because it's new to him.

It was a relief to do that today. Maybe I'll sleep tonight! PS. Click on the post title to watch the great TKAA preview! God, I love that film.

Comments

Popular Posts